Whether you are a seasoned boat owner or in the market for the very first time, the decision-making process when purchasing a boat can certainly be an overwhelming experience. There is so much to consider – from available budgets and financing, to licencing, insurance, storage and more.

However, your first decision will typically be focused on what type of boat you should buy. When researching the marketplace, you’re likely to come across various “categories”, so we felt it was important to explain what type of vessels fall under what category, and, of course, the implications…

A brief explanation of CE categories in Europe

In 1998, a Recreational Craft Directive (EU RCD) was introduced by the EU to satisfy its demand to establish design standards for recreational boats – specifically those vessels measuring 2.5 to 24 metres. As a result, all new and used boats being sold in Europe must be certified as conforming to one of four CE (Conformité Européenne, meaning European Conformity) categories: A, B, C and D. This obligation applies to newly built and imported boats and yachts.

These categories have been put in place to determine the seaworthiness of any vessel, based upon the wind force and typical wave height a boat would be expected to encounter and navigate when sailing in different environments.

Brexit, boating, and the transition to UKCA categories

The Brexit vote and the UK’s subsequent withdrawal from the EU has had a profound effect on multiple industries across the country, especially how we interact and collaborate with our cousins on the continent – and the UK’s boat sector is no different. After 24 years of working to the CE standards set out in the EU’s RCD, the industry now adheres to the UK’s Recreational Craft Regulations (UK RCR).

The UKCA will become mandatory from January 2022, however, it is already being used by British manufacturers in preparation for next year. Currently, the two sets of standards (EU RCD and UK RCR) have the same requirements, which will initially make the transition somewhat seamless, however, we are aware things could change in the future. For more information, we recommend you take a look at this comprehensive article from trade magazine Boating Business.

UKCA & CE Categories for boats

CE & UKCA category A (Ocean)

Designed to undertake long voyages, these vessels should be expected to withstand winds in excess of Beaufort Force 8, as well as substantial waves above 4 metres. This would include those superyachts you’d commonly see in Puerto Banus (or even the Solent, which welcomed Superyacht Zen in June), plus some larger yachts.

CE & UKCA category B (Offshore)

Falling within category B will be smaller yachts and cabin cruisers with offshore capabilities. These boats can withstand winds up to and including Beaufort Force 8, plus waves up to 4 metres high. Our category B boats include:

CE & UKCA category C (Inland & Estuary)

This group contains most tenders, open day boats, smaller cruisers, bowriders and narrow boats. These vessels must be able to withstand winds of up to Beaufort Force 6 and waves up to 2 metres high. You’ll find that most of our customers – including those mooring at our marina – will be owners of category C vessels.

Our portfolio consists of:

CE & UKCA category D (Sheltered waters)

Finally, category D covers those vessels most suitable for sheltered waters, typically small lakes, canals, and rivers. The boats have been built to comfortably handle Beaufort Force 4 winds, and waves of up to 0.3 metres – most likely caused by other passing vessels. An example of a category D boat includes our very own Corsiva 475.   

Recognising a CE or UKCA certified boat

To comply with the relevant inspection (either CE or UKCA), a boat must have the following:

  • A Craft Identification Number (CIN)
  • Identification plate, including maximum allowed load and UKCA/CE category
  • An owner’s manual featuring key information about the boat
  • A declaration of conformity from the boat builder, shipyard, or importer  

What boats do not require UKCA or CE certification?

Not all boats need a UKCA or CE marking. For instance, those vessels that have operated in EU/EEA countries prior to June 1998, plus boats built for personal use only, are exempt. Other types of vessels include hydrofoils, traditional canoes, pedalos, kayaks, sailing surfboards, historical boats, racing boats and gondolas.

Advice on type of boats  

Looking for further guidance on different types of boats before making an investment? Get in touch with our experienced and friendly team. We are an independent business that prides itself on offering impartial advice. You can get in touch via our website, over the phone (01189 403211), or by visiting our beautiful marina (map here) – we even have a coffee shop and restaurant, The Cwtch, offering fantastic food on the riverside.