In a recent blog post, James Clifton, Sales Manager at Val Wyatt Marine, provided a valuable insight into our highly respected brokerage and the process of selling a boat through a broker. The post explained how a brokerage works, the pros and cons of using a brokerage, typical procedures and the fees involved. Now, James is back to discuss the advantages of buying a boat through a broker.
How does a boat brokerage work?
Well, to put it simply, there are two main parts to the job. The first is assisting boat owners to sell their vessels.
Secondly, we help our customers to find a new or used boat that fits their exact requirements. We use our extensive expertise to provide important advice and ensure best practice to facilitate any transaction.
We are proud to be the sole UK-based importers for Interboat, Intercruiser and Corsiva – and one of just two dealers representing Haines Marine – providing buyers with seamless access to a broad portfolio of industry-leading models. However, we also have a constant stock of quality used boats too, which have proved to be a great fit for many satisfied customers over the years.
Buying a boat through a broker: Additional value
At Val Wyatt Marine, we understand the significant investment our customers have to make when it comes to purchasing a boat – not just from a financial perspective, but emotionally too. That is why we are committed to supporting potential buyers with sound and professional advice at every stage of the journey, but most importantly, at their own pace. We take the time to better understand their needs – not just for the short-term, but the long-term too – and provide the most suitable options available.
In terms of added value, the advantages of buying a boat through Val Wyatt’s brokerage include:
- The opportunity to come down to our beautiful marina to view our wide selection of boats. When visiting Willow Marina, you’d be more than welcome to use the facilities. Our knowledgeable team will also be able to talk you through the different options inside our light and modern office space, offering fantastic views over the Thames. If a potential buyer enjoys the location and amenities, they can also enquire about our marina services.
- Having the opportunity to view a vessel whilst being accompanied by an expert can be a huge advantage, regardless of whether you’re buying your first or fifth boat. Our team will always be on hand to answer questions, however technical. For those people that cannot make it to Wargrave, we also offer virtual tours of the boats, which have been particularly valuable during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- As explained in our previous post about how to sell a boat, we, as the brokerage, take the lead in processing and managing the legalities and paperwork, plus other tasks, such as surveys and overseeing the trial run for the new prospective owner. In addition, we safeguard all funds and professionally manage all financial transactions during the sale, in accordance with British Marine regulations.
- Once the legalities and paperwork are finalised, we offer a full handover of each vessel we sell, which includes a thorough explanation of all its operating systems. We will also spend time demonstrating how to helm the boat and offer tips and advice on boat handling and mooring. Handovers are complimented by a library of videos for long term reference.
- My colleagues and I are ABYA trained, whilst Val Wyatt are long-standing members of the British Marine Association. These important accreditations provide our customers with increased peace of mind ahead of any purchase.
- Finally, we always ensure a buyer is purchasing the right boat for them. We will not sell a vessel to a prospective buyer just because it is available. Boating is our passion and if we don’t believe we have the right boat for you, we will advise you on where else you might be able to look.
If you’re looking to buy a boat, either new or used, please feel free to contact our team by filling out this form, or calling 01182 170527. You can also see the boats we have for sale by visiting our website.